Music Doing Good is committed to helping Houston students continue their music development by offering four scholarships between $1,000 and $2,500. The scholarship application and requirements are listed below.
- Grade-school students of exceptional musical talent between the ages of 12 and 18
- Applicants must reside in the Greater Houston area
- Applicants must submit all application materials on or before deadline (detailed below)
- Preference will be given to students with financial need
Terms of Scholarship
- Scholarships can be applied to lessons with a private teacher, tuition through an educational institution like Houston Community College, or, in certain cases, short-term programs of summer study. (This Scholarship does not provide for living or travel expenses.)
- After the Scholarship is awarded, the recipient will be responsible for the following:
- Signing and returning the scholarship award acceptance contract
- Providing a signed memorandum of understanding from the institution or individual providing the lessons or schooling to the student
- Submitting a written summary of musical activities, including lessons, gigs and concerts attended on a regular basis, to be established at the time of award
- The scholarship recipient receives no money. Awarded funds are paid directly to the school, instructor, or music organization and cannot be paid directly to the student or studentís family.
- The scholarship recipient must attend the awards ceremony which will be held at the Conrad Johnson Orchestra Jazz Concert on the evening of Saturday, April 20th at Zilkha Hall in Houston
- Include two contrasting pieces highlighting your artistry a solo or small ensemble performance. Preliminary screening for the Scholarship will be done by CD, video or MP3.
- Since the scholarship is open to music of all genres, please submit any specific repertoire or application process questions to Rodney@MusicDoingGood.org
- Application form and essay
- Performance on CD, video or MP3 (see guidelines above)
- Two letters of reference concerning musical ability
Submit Application To:
Music Doing Good Scholarship Program
℅ Rodney Waters
4203 Yoakum Blvd, Suite 200
Houston, TX 77006
Or email application to Rodney@MusicDoingGood.org
Friday, March 15th, 2013, 5:00 CST is the deadline for consideration of a scholarship for Summer 2013 or Fall 2013. Scholarship recipients will be announced Monday, April 1, 2013.
Download the application by clicking here, fill it out, and email or print and mail the completed application to the above address.
For any additional information on the Music Doing Good Student Scholarship Program, contact Rodney Waters.